Pages

Friday 23 September 2011

Peggy's Apple Cake

Well, I finally made that apple cake for my mother (Peggy) and here is how I did it:


7 oz Self Raising Flour
Half teaspoon of Baking Powder
5 oz Butter
3 oz Caster Sugar
2 Eggs
1 lb Apples - peeled and sliced
2 tbs Granulated Sugar
2 tbs Apricot Jam - heated enough to loosen


Cream the sugar and butter together.  When light and fluffy add the eggs (whisked) gradually.  When the eggs have been incorporated add the flour and baking powder a tablespoonful at a time.




Spread two thirds of the mixture into a prepared tin (in my case I used an 8 inch round loose bottomed cake tin that is approximately 4 inches deep which I buttered and placed a disk of baking parchment on the bottom.  However, this cake is not very deep so a variation of what I used would be just as good).

The apples should already be peeled and sliced - place these on the cake mixture evenly and sprinkle with the granulated sugar.  Dot the heated jam over the apples - although the recipe calls for apricot jam I used strawberry, simply because I had run out of apricot!  Then drop the remaining mixture by teaspoons all over the apples.





Bake at 180 C for 55 minutes until golden brown.  Take out of tin when cold.






The cake mixture is quite dry - however this is as it should be because the apples will add moisture.

The first photograph shows my mother's Kenwood Chef which she gave to me a couple of years ago.  It was puchased in the seventies - as you can tell!  This recipe is also from that time - hence the imperial measurements.

3 comments:

  1. Jennifer, I usually use imperial, I still can't really think in decimal! The cake looks yummy, definitely one for name to try, thank you:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jude - it's funny but with imperial I can visualise the size of something whereas with decimal I'm completely in the dark!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made Peggy's apple cake on Sunday night to have after roast lamb. It didn't turn out as good as yours. I think my oven was too hot and I scorched the top after only 30mins. It tasted good though. Josh and Wes loved it and asked for more!

    ReplyDelete