Pages

Friday 16 September 2011

Random Bakes of Kindness

Vanessa Kimbell, who wrote the cookery book Prepped, posted a blog on http://writingacookerybook.blogspot.com/ suggesting we baked a cake for a deserving person, which she has called Random Bakes of Kindness.  It is such a lovely idea that when I read it I immediately sat and thought about who I could bake a cake for.  Well, I eventually decided on my own mother and here is why:

My mother has been suffering from Parkinsons for a few years now and is slowly becoming less and less mobile.  Whilst we were growing up my mother always baked cakes and even once we all left home she continued, however for the last few years she has stopped.  She has even been giving away her cooking equipment, so when she asked me if I wanted her Kenwood Chef which she had bought in the 70's - I immediately said yes.  I would love a KitchenAid really, but could not bear to part with my mother's Kenwood Chef and have found that I do bake more now that I have it. 

Anyway, I decided to find one of my mother's own cake recipes that she hasn't made for many years and looking through my handwritten recipe book (some recipes of which I have taken from my mother) I came across Apple Cake.  I made a trial cake on Tuesday evening, planning to make another Wednesday morning to take to my parents on Wednesday afternoon (we always visit my parents on Wednesday after school) - however, I forgot to buy more apples on Wednesday morning so decided to make a seed cake instead, which is very easy to make.  My mother loved every mouthful - as did my father - you can't beat the taste of a homemade cake!

So I would like to say a huge thank you to Vanessa  for this heartwarming suggestion which I intend to continue with every Wednesday - next week will definitely be an apple cake!






I suggest you read Vanessa's blog and then decide who you can bake a cake for as a Random Bake of Kindness - we can all use a little kindness in our lives whichever form it takes.

Hope you all have a lovely weekend.

2 comments:

  1. Oh I love this idea. I only just managed to get to the end of your blog before a little tear appeared. I am so emotional these days - especially with such little acts of kindness. More so since I remember mum being a lovely baker and how sad that she is now without that pleasure in her life. What a good daughter you are!
    I took some fresh homemade bread still warm from the breadmaker and wrapped in a tea towel to my eldest sons house to have with dinner last week and it was received with such surprise and love that I will do it again. Even more spurred on by your suggestions. Also thanks to Vanessa and Random Bake of Kindness idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love giving baked goods to friends and family. It's always a joy to see someone delighted with such a thoughtful gift. And it's wonderful that you are using your mother's Kenwood.

    ReplyDelete